Sunday, May 4, 2008

Like Clockwork

If any of you have ever doubted Andy's super-human powers as a spreadsheet hero, you can rest assured, they are mighty. We rolled into town late Thursday night. We met with the realtor Friday morning to walk through the house one last time before we met with the closing attorney (that's how they roll out here--no escrow company, just an atty). It was pretty strange to walk through the house again seeing as how a lot of the features were new to me. I couldn't remember some of the paint colors in all the rooms, I thought there were two garden areas in the backyard, I had forgotten how the master closet was laid out etc etc. Our realtor says she has never seen anyone buy a house after having seen the place only once.

After signing the papers with the attorney, we went "home" to wait for our stuff to arrive and for the sale to be officially recorded before we moved in at 2pm. Our stuff arrived around noon--right on schedule. The movers arrived a little before 2pm. About 2.5 hours later, we were done moving all of our stuff inside. The only hiccup in the closing process was when we got a phone call shortly after about 4pm letting us know that there was a computer problem at the county offices and that unless the house recorded that day, we'd have to either work out a leasing agreement with the sellers (who were less than interested in negotiating anything of the sort) or we'd have to move out. Not good. Fortunately, about 15 minutes later, we got a phone call from someone else who said that the house recorded and everything was OK.

The other problem we had was when we opened the semi-truck full of our stuff. We had packed about 12 linear feet and put up some barriers to keep everything in place. One of the barriers didn't really do its job. A lot of our stuff tumbled down and a few things got broken. Among the casualties were glass baking dishes, our TV, an entry-way table, my work printer/copier/scanner and there's a large chunk of wood that got knocked out of our dresser. I'm not too sad about the broken stuff--except for the dresser. It's part of a set and I'm incredibly fond of it. I'm not sure how to go about repairing it--there's no way I can just replace it. This is what we found when we removed the barriers in the truck:

Other than that, things are going well. We took a break yesterday from unpacking and organizing to get massages. I'm mildly sore all over from all the lifting and constant moving. I have more knots in my back than an old oak tree! We are, however, making great headway. Most of the rooms are at least 40% organized. There is a list of things we will need like curtains, bathroom mats...and a TV. At least this gives Andy an excuse to get a flat-panel LCD. If anyone has any recommendations or is aware of some great sales, please let us know! David just sent us a helpful email so we're on the lookout.

We went to church this morning. I must admit, I like our ward. Everyone is very friendly. Our records were transferred in today and between classes, we could hardly go 5 feet without someone stopping to welcome us in. While I miss the YW back home, it is nice to attend RS again. The bishop said he and his counselors would stop by tonight to visit for a little while. They're not messing around.

4 comments:

Maren said...

I'm glad you like your new ward... sounds like they want to put you to work ASAP! lol

Holy crap! I can't believe that truck was so poorly packed that all that stuff got broken! Did you get movers insurance or anything? Man, sorry to hear about the broken stuff, especially the dresser. :(

Amy Smith said...

Oh carp! I can't believe that happened. It is actually the first time I have ever heard of that happening. I am sorry it happened, especially since I recommended them. EEK. Get pics of the house up soon.

www.techbargains.com has a good listing of lcd tvs on sale.

heather said...

i bet it's so nice to be done with the driving. awesome idea to get massages! can't wait to see pics of the house :)

Totally Hess said...

We will miss the spreadsheet hero - but we are glad you made it to NC safely! Have fun and keep in touch.