Tomorrow, January 26, 2009, is Chinese New Year. I thought I would share one of my favorite recipes for Chinese Dumplings or Pot Stickers. If you are fortunate enough to live near an Asian food store and can easily find the pot sticker skins or wrappers, I hope you will try out this recipe. Out here, the nearest Asian food store is in Raleigh--about 2.5 hours away! (I have stock piled 4 packages in my freezer for emergencies.) However, I have discovered that I can also go to a local Chinese food restaurant and ask to purchase a package of dumpling skins. The last time I did that, however, the employees didn't realize that I could understand what they were saying to each other and I quickly caught on to the idea that the price would be negotiable so I bargained with them in Chinese to get the skins for a decent price.
In China and Taiwan, the New Year holiday is a time for family and friends to get together and EAT.
Chinese Dumplings
¾ lbs. lean ground beef, pork, chicken or 1 tub (14 oz.) firm tofu, drained and crumbled
1 cup finely chopped cabbage
8 water chestnuts, finely chopped
2 green onions, finely chopped
1 tsp grated ginger
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
¼ tsp. salt
1 package (12 oz.) Round pot sticker wraps
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
3 cups chicken broth
• Soy Sauce and Vinegar to taste (for dipping sauce)
Combine meat or tofu, cabbage, water chestnuts, green onions, ginger, soy sauce and salt in a bowl; mix well. Use 1 tsp. filling for each dumpling. Follow folding directions (moisten edges, fold in half, press together). Heat 2 tsp. oil in a wide, non-stick skillet over low heat. Put 1/3 pot stickers in pan and cook till bottoms are golden brown, 8-10 minutes. Add 1 cup broth, cover and simmer until tender, 10 minutes. Uncover and cook until all liquid is absorbed. Remove with spatula onto serving plate. Repeat with remaining pot stickers. Serve with soy sauce and vinegar.
7 comments:
What does "Xin Nian Kuai Le" mean? I thought Happy new year was "Kung Hei Fat Choy" I need a dictionary!
Xin Nian Kuai Le is Mandarin for "New Year Happy". You could also say Gong Xi Fa Cai which is "Congratulations (or to wish) Enlarged Wealth". Chinese people will often give out red envelopes on Chinese New Year with money inside (sometimes hundreds or thousands of dollars). So the kids will sometimes say, "Gong xi fa cai. Hong bao na guo lai." Ha ha ha. Oh, that means "Wish for enlarged wealth. Give me my red envelope." It's funny because it rhymes and is something only kids can get away with saying. Kung Hei Fat Choy might be Cantonese for the same thing, or it might just be an abomination of spelling. ;-)
Happy Niu Year!
Happy Chinese New Year to you!
byw Are you on facebook?
Year New Happy
Papa
Give me my red envelope!
I would say that Jon can get away with asking for his red envelope.
Your chinese price negotiation story is one of my favorites.
Post a Comment