Saturday, May 10, 2008

Pig Pickin'

Today, Andy and I went to our first "Pig Pickin". Our ward had a picnic behind the church building where they have a picnic pavillion and softball field. In North Carolina, the term BBQ refers to shredded pork cooked in a vinegar-based sauce. Honestly, I think it tastes VERY similar to Kalua Pig--just less salty. Oh and the other thing that is very "North Carolina" is to put cole slaw on your BBQ sandwich. I rather like the concept.

The Pig Pickin' gave us a chance to get to know people better. Everyone is very nice. There's a really funny old lady in the ward, Miss Peggy (in the south, all the ladies are a "Miss" something or other), she is the ward greeter and she came over at one point to chat with us and she has the greatest, most bubbly personality. She's always warning us about the Yankies and has let us know that we're ok because we're not really Yankies...just Westerners. I guess that's not as bad.

We met several families...mostly because Andy would just walk right up to people, stick out his hand and say, "Hi. I'm Andy". He caught more than one person off guard. I think one lady thought he was going to sell her insurance or something.

Anyway we rounded out our day by running a ton of errands to pick up a bunch of things we need for the house. I'm having curtain dilemmas for the LR and dining room. But the house is coming together quite nicely. I hope to have pictures up pretty soon. Be patient with me. I'm trying to get Andy to post about his latest purchases as well.

4 comments:

Jon Pearson said...

Jamie and Andy,
Thank you for keeping up your Blog!
We miss you a lot, but feel like we are in touch when we read it.
Somehow, I am starting to associate you two with pork.
love,
mom and dad jon and carol

Anonymous said...

You guys have been in your ward for a week and you probably know more people than Dave and I know in our ward of 9 months! If only we could all be a little more like Andy...

Maren said...

Sounds like you enjoyed your first pig pickin'. Oh, and as a yank myself... (lol!) It's spelt with two e's... Yankee. That is all. :)

Totally Hess said...

Jamie - please let me know why you are the pig princess or what exactly your expertise is with pork. I enjoy a good pulled pork sandwich, but no one at my house is very impressed with the ones I make. I could use your help - as the pig princess.