Sunday, June 29, 2008

Blueberry Festival

Last Saturday, after a morning of cleaning, exercising and lots of rain, we went to the Burgaw Blueberry Festival. I know what you're thinking, and yes, we have finally arrived. Burgaw is about 20 minutes north of us. Fortunately, it did stop raining just before we left. Burgaw is a classic, small North Carolina town with more antique stores per capita than should be legally allowed.
Everyone came out to celebrate the blueberry harvesting season. They had lots of booths set up and we were a little disappointed that they did not all have something to do with blueberries. It was fun, however, to see the various vendors--especially the ones selling ceramics peices. I'm trying to get more ideas for the coming months. So aside from a handful of booths that had blueberry-inspired snacks (like smoothies, ice cream, jams, cobbler, cakes etc.) it was your average, small-town fair. Either way, it was fun to walk around and see all the crafts and yummy treats that were for sale. We tried a blueberry smoothie, some homemade ice cream and a blueberry funnel cake! YUM! I really wish funnel cakes didn't taste so good...rather, I really wish funnel cakes were good for you. Throughout the day, we kept thinking how much Andy's nephew, Evan, would have loved to have been there. He is a blueberry fiend!!! On top of that, they had an area where several grown men had set up their electric train sets--complete with villages etc. Evan would have loved it!

3 comments:

Maren said...

I think funnel cakes should be good for you too. If they were I'd eat them non-stop! Looks like a fun festival! I've gotta find stuff like that here! So fun!

Jenni said...

That just sounds fun! I love summer with its fesitvals all focused on fruit.

Kimberly said...

It's true, Evan would have loved it. Blueberries and trains! What's not to love?