Monday, October 13, 2008

SSG

So I've been in charge of the Activity Days girls for a little while now. I'm in charge of planning activities every other week for all the girls in our ward who are 8 to 12 years old. For the most part, the girls are very good and it's a lot of fun to come up with new ideas and activities for them. Last month, one of the girls mentioned that they have "SSG" on the weeks that we don't have an activity. I was rather intrigued when they first told me about it and a couple weeks ago, they were complaining that they would have to cancel "SSG" because the two ring leaders couldn't have it at their house that coming week. Being the nice person I am, I offered to host SSG at my house. If you're like me, you have no idea what "SSG" is. As it turns out, it stands for "Scripture Study Girls". They basically get together and one of them prepares a lesson, one of them prepares an activity and one of them prepares the snack. What's really impressive is that the girls are completely in charge. I told them that I wasn't going to prepare ANYTHING...and they were just fine with that.

About 7 girls showed up and they discussed "Our Gospel Standards" on the back of their Faith in God booklets. Then they played some clean music to go along with the concept that we shouldn't listen to inappropriate music. I had to stifle a laugh or two because the first few minutes were spent discussing a change in the group's name from SSG to maybe GSG because they don't always study the scriptures...sometimes they just have a gospel discussion. It was great. We then had brownies. There was a little extra time, so we played hide and go seek and sardines. When their parents came to pick them up, they didn't want to leave.

Last year, when I went to Girl's Camp with a different ward, I was very impressed with the idea that the girls want so badly to be around and associate with girls who share their same standards. It's so important for these girls to feel safe and comfortable around their peers and to know that they can rely on each other to support them in keeping their standards high.

This last week, we talked about Family History and we made family trees by using scrapbook paper for the leaves. (A great way to use up scraps!) The girls loved it and they turned out pretty cute.

2 comments:

Andrew S. said...

So, who came up with the idea/concept for SSG (or GSG)? I've never heard of it and I think it's a great idea. It sounds like it's the same girls involved in Activity Days? Very impressive!

The Pearsons said...

Two of the older girls in the group came up with the idea. It's kind of like they have started a club and all the Activity Days girls are automatically in it.