Sunday, November 30, 2008

Myrtle Beach

A couple in our ward invited us to go with them to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina this weekend to see the Dolly Parton Dixie Stampede. Not only were we intrigued, but once we saw that the online advertisement boasted a Christmas celebration involving a 4-course dinner, music and livestock, we had to go check it out. The Dixie Stampede is very similar to Medieval Times. There is a large arena and people sit around it at long dinner tables. Throughout the show, we were served a 4-course dinner consisting of soup, bread, Cornish game hen, a baked potato, ham, an apple turnover etc. The real kicker was that they didn't give us any utensils. I really didn't understand that part of it...I mean, if I were at Medieval Times, then maybe real knights didn't use silverware or maybe they weren't around at that time. But the Dixie Stampede....I guess they were trying to up the redneck factor...? I dunno.

The show was a series of horse races and horseback riding tricks. At one point, the performers reenacted the Nativity Scene and it was really nice. They even had camels there. Here are a few pictures.




We spent the night in Myrtle Beach hoping to be able to see the sights in the morning, but the weather was horrible on Saturday. In fact, it has rained almost the entire weekend. So after walking around the "Broadway" and stopping at Krispy Kreme for donuts and hot chocolate, we decided to head home.

2 comments:

rs said...

Sounds like a great "get away"!
m

Anne H. 韩涵 said...

Cute jacket Jamie!