Wednesday, October 17, 2007

YW Standards Night

We had a really fun Young Women's activity last night. For all of you who are in YW, you need to do this. We had a standard's night where we had a speaker who presented ideas on the importance of the way we dress and how we present our bodies. She covered everything from how your appearance changes the way you feel and act as well as how we are responsible for the kinds of thoughts we may put into other's heads depending on how we dress.

Someone also created a slide show of all the girls showing how they can dress modestly in their day-to-day lives. Ever since I first got involved with the Young Women program, I have been so impressed with how well our girls keep their standards high. I know it can't be easy since they live in California and are constantly faced with the pressure to look or dress a certain way. They do a great job at looking good and dressing modestly at the same time.
We then had a fashion show in which the Laurels class (girls ages 16 to 18) modeled some modest prom dresses. A lot of preparation went into the activity. A few weeks ago, they had all the girls go to a leader's house to try on a variety of dresses that they had borrowed from various women in our stake. Each girl chose two dresses to model. Another leader and I narrated each dress as the girls walked down the aisle. We invited the Relief Society and the girl's mothers to attend as well. (We should have invited the Young Men so as to encourage them to ask these girls out on dates!!) Since I was narrating, I had one of the girls in my class take pictures for me. Here are a few of them:



Our Young Women are GORGEOUS!!! I hope they learned that they can be fashionable while keeping the dress standards of the church. I feel bad for anyone who feels like they have to show a ton of skin in order to get attention or to feel like she is beautiful.

No comments: