Tonight I attended our RS book club. We read Wild Swans, a book I had recommended. To be honest, I was afraid the other ladies in the group wouldn't like it or wouldn't care about the subject matter. Boy was I wrong!! They all loved it. Although it was too long for most of the readers to finish in just one month, everyone had such great light bulb moments reading it. Most of the feedback from the ladies revolved around how little they knew about the Cultural Revolution or about Chinese History. So it was an eye-opening, learning experience for many. I wish there were more books out there that describe the experiences of those who lived through the Cultural Revolution. If you know of any, please let me know. (I've read "The Red Azalea" and didn't care for it too much.)
Next month we are going to read The Red Tent, which I am very much looking forward to.
2 comments:
Love the Red Tent! I had book club tonight too - we read a classic this month, The Power of One. Wish I could figure out what PeeKay's real name was . . .
Another great Chinese story - "Snowflower and the Secret Fan"
For April we're reading "The Secret Life of Bees". We have a great book club. I don't know of any Chinese books for you.
Post a Comment