Saturday, September 20, 2008

Raku Party

Two weeks ago, when "Hurricane Hannah" struck, my ceramics class had to postpone its Raku party till today. After spending about 8 hours around a whole lot of smoke, I came home with a bunch of cool pots and I smelled like a campfire. Essentially, we put our pots in a propane kiln until it got up to about 1,850 degrees. Then each piece is unloaded into a small garbage can containing newspaper or other flammable materials. You let it burn a little and then you cover it and let it cool off for a while. It was a lot of fun and I am quite satisfied with the way my pieces turned out.

There was one piece that my classmates wouldn't let me throw away. A few weeks ago, when I was trimming my pot, I accidentally turned the wheel on full blast and it went spinning into oblivion! It broke and my classmates all thought it looked really cool. I decided to keep it and I think it looks very interesting. I think I'll probably try an sell it and I'll have to keep myself from laughing if anyone buys it.

I'm including a slide show of the pieces I have made this "semester". Not all of them are Raku. The more shiny/metallic and the crackle pieces are Raku. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anne H. 韩涵 said...

I am a fan of Raku...and a fan of Jamie's talent.

Maren said...

I'm with Anne. You've always had quite the knack for ceramics. I particularly love the orange donut vase, and the dark blue vase. Very striking. And the one that you wanted to toss is beautiful too. It may be flawed, but it's got character. :)

: ) Paula said...

I want the broken one! (Laugh if you must.) It's bruised, broken, and has been through a lot. I'm glad your classmates convinced you to hold on to it. So if you're allergic like your big sis, am I an awesome potter like you? One of these days I'll have to find out. In the mean time, keep on cranking out the amazing pottery!