Saturday, April 25, 2009

Day of Service

Today was Wilmington's Day of Service. We woke up very early and were ready to go by 7:30am. Hundreds of volunteers came out to help in a variety of locations. Through the church, we had about 150 members in our group and there were about 700 volunteers in all. Some went to a cemetery to cut back brush, Andy and I went to a local park and helped plant trees. There were about 100 trees that needed to be planted and about 7 of us were trying to plant them all. We didn't finish, but we did plant quite a few. Planting trees sounds like a lot of fun, but after a couple hours of planting tree after tree, it starts to get very tiring. When we finished, they fed us lunch provided by a variety of local restaurants and businesses.

We had a good time and Andy was especially entertained when someone from the local news station came by to film the project. At one point, she came by and filmed us digging a hole for a tree and then asked to interview one of us. Andy jumped at the chance. Although his comments didn't make it on the news, we did.

4 comments:

: ) Paula said...

WOW! You're famous!!!

My next door neighbor got interviewed by a local station a few years ago when the police made our street evacuate (there was a suicidal guy brandishing a gun at the park). If I had to compare the two, I'd say your service story is a way cooler reason for being on TV--too bad Andy's interview didn't see any air time.

Good for you for doing service!

rs said...

Hey, its nice to know famous stars of tv/screen! Ya done good!

Lindasue said...

Cool!

Maren said...

Awesome! You got on TV! We did a day of service here, and I was sewing quilts all day long! THEN I donated blood! So fun!