Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The Big Apple

Over the long Easter weekend, Andy and I went to New York for a little vacation and to see some family and friends who live there. I'm only now getting around to posting about it because it seems like April has absolutely FLOWN by! We had a great time, but wished that the weather had been better. It was wet, cold, windy and rainy for most of the weekend.

We arrived early Friday morning and went to the Manhattan temple to do a session. We then stopped by a vendor and got me a New York hot dog. Mmmmm sauerkraut. We then went to the Natural History Museum and walked through Central Park to get to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Natural History Museum has not changed much over the last 20-30 years--not that I would know from having been there 20-30 years ago, but because most of the displays just looked OLD. I was pretty bothered by how much dust was on everything. I guess only the special exhibits get any attention. 
The Met, however, is very well maintained and has a wonderful collection of paintings and sculptures. We met up with Andy's friend Vanya and went to dinner with her, Ryan and a bunch of his friends. 

On Saturday, Andy's friend, Ryan took us around to go sightseeing. We had a great time, but it was really cold and wet. I, for one, was ill prepared for how cold it was. Regardless, we were able to see everything we wanted to see. I got to see the New York Stock Exchange and the bull statue (I aksed him nicely if he would please come back). So I think I am responsible for the rally we've had in April. 
We went to the "Seinfeld Diner", Tom's Restaurant (below) for lunch. 


We also went to the "Top of the Rock" (Rockefeller) so we could look out and see all of New York. It sure is a concrete jungle. 

We had dinner with Debbie (Andy's cousin), Jared, Kiasa (my roommate from BYU), Brian and their daughter Isabella. One of the nice things about New York is that just about every restaurant has fantastic food. Even the vendors are not too shabby. We had Indian food then rushed off to see a Broadway play; West Side Story. My siblings are probably all thinking, "Don't. You. Touch. Him!!!" right about now. 
After the musical, we took a quick look around Times Square and headed to my friend Kiasa's house. On Easter morning, she made some amazing waffles with blueberries etc. and we went to church with them in Harlem. The building is really cool (about 4 stories) and is relatively new.  
On Sunday afternoon, we went to the Cloisters (a museum of sorts)--which was very beautiful. The architecture was very interesting and I was quite taken by all the doors. They had some carved and wrought-iron doors as well as other artifacts. 

We then went over to Jared and Debbie's house and they prepared a WONDERFUL Easter dinner. Mmmm. Not only did it taste good, but it looked fabulous too! We had to wake up the next morning at like 4am to get to the airport. We had  a wonderful time and are so thankful to all of our friends and family who made the trip so great.  

3 comments:

Andrew S. said...

Sounds like an awesome trip. I agree about the NYC hot dogs: mmmmm sauerkraut! They are only rivaled by a good Chicago dog with nuclear-green relish! How's Kiasa doing? When you mentioned West Side Story, my first thought was your Chineese adaptation of the "Cool" lyrics: "xiǎosī, xiǎosī"! Glad you had fun!!!

: ) Paula said...

West Side Story jealousy aside (Did you sing along obnoxiously like I would've: "See that pretty girl in the mirror there?"), it looks like the trip was tons of fun. I'm glad to see you two enjoying life and taking it all in! Takes me back to our pre-kiddo days. . . !)

Kiasa said...

We loved having you and hopefully the weather didn't make it so miserable that you will never come again...there is so much more to this city!