Thursday, March 27, 2008

Secrets

After having read "Wild Swans" and while traveling in China, I was constantly thinking about the Cultural Revolution (CR) and what it must have been like to live through a time where there was little to no rational rule of law. Of course Chinese culture does not encourage discussion of feelings and emotion--especially about the CR. Many experiences are also too painful to re-live anyway. The torture so many people (especially intellectuals) suffered through caused me to wonder over and over what kinds of secrets the elderly Chinese people were carrying around with them. I'm sure I drove Anne and Andy nuts with my random CR factoids.

Here are two pictures of elderly Chinese people that I love and that made me wonder what kinds of secrets they were keeping from me. This lady was resting at the Temple of Heaven in Beijing and just looked so peaceful. The man below was doing TaiQi at FuXing park in Shanghai.

1 comment:

Anne H. 韩涵 said...

Not crazy-- unless crazy is how I now think every Chinese grandma & grandpa is hording important information from us....

The trip wouldn't have been the same w/out the CR factoids. I'm going to read that book!