About two weeks ago, we noticed that our tomato plants and beans had suddenly been given an unwelcome 'haircut' of sorts. When Andy noticed hoof prints in the dirt, we identified the culprits as deer! It's hard for me to comprehend that we live about 15 minutes
from the beach, but we can have deer in our backyard. To make things even more curious, I spotted a small crab on our back patio a couple days ago!! A CRAB!!
We seem to have put a stop to the midnight salad bar free for all by setting up some orange mesh construction fencing around the door to our garden and along the shorter sides of the fence.
The good news is that although our butternut squash seem to be taking over the entire garden, we are starting to see several squash growing. We had to build a trellis in order to keep all the vines from choking out our tomatoes and other plants. We also have a few very small watermelon starting to grow.
One thing's for sure, we will be better gardeners next year. We will know to start earlier and to start seedlings at different times so that we don't get a barrage of any one type of vegetable all at once.
2 comments:
I'm so, so, so impressed!!! You should check out the book "The $64 Tomato". Thanks for living my dream!
I'm all about cheap gardening. Last year, I planted cherry tomatoes in a pot in April in Buffalo, moved it down here in the end of June, and had tons of tomatoes last summer. I re-used the poinsettia pot/dirt from my hairstylist (which had died like in February), and got the seeds from the dollar store for 10 cents. :) I was quite proud of that little project. $25 per veggie aint bad though. ;)
A&A's garden is literally going to be ripe with everything next week when they're gone. heh
Post a Comment